Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Song Writing vs. Guitar Playing

Guitar riffImage by RcktManIL via Flickr

I really want to get back into the habit of writing songs, rather than just working on my guitar playing chops. I am a bit divided on this issue however, because song writing, just like guitar playing, requires time, practice and study. Perhaps even more so.

I have been a bit reluctant to do anything that takes time away from drilling with scales, progressions and riffs on the guitar, or studying general music theory. However, I don't want to become one of those guys that can play guitar, but cant write songs.

I have to find a balance. I also have to become comfortable with the fact that I will never be as good as I want to be on guitar. I just have to keep learning, keep improving little by little, and make time for working on lyrics and trying to come up with simple catchy songs.

It helps writing with other people, that way I can show up at band practice with a riff or an idea, and other people can expand on it. Collaborating with my band mates is one of my favourite things about working with original music. At some point though, I would like to be able to show up with more than just a few incomplete riffs.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment